If the land could talk, Two Guns would have a lot of stories to tell. From Navajo and Apache confrontations in the 19th century, wagon train travel, gunfights, to the heyday of Route 66 where a trading post and petting zoo where the highlight of folks crossing the Canyon Diablo Bridge.
Canyon Diablo Bridge
The bridge and the ruins of several structures remain and are accessible to travelers who venture off the Interstate. The Bridge was constructed in 1913 which became part of the original 1926 Route 66 alignment. The ruins at the west end of the bridge are that of the Cundiff Store. Earl Cundiff came to Canyon Diablo in the 1920s. He built the store, gas station, garage, cafe and cottages all called ‘Canyon Lodge’. He leased some property to Harry ‘Indian’ Miller in 1925 for the first zoo at Canyon Diablo, and Miller also built up the ‘Apache Death Cave’ tourist attraction popular with Route 66 travelers.